Residency Research & Scholarly Activities
Our program is committed to the advancement of anesthesia research. The department requires that all residents participate in a scholarly activity. In the Residency Program, all residents complete an original research project as a requirement for graduation. The principle goal of the research project is to familiarize the physician with the process of science and its interaction with clinical medicine. Ideally, residents will develop an understanding and appreciation of the scientific method, statistical analysis, hypothesis construct and validation. The steps that are necessary for completing a research project serve as the building blocks for life-long ability to critically read and analyze medical literature. Our program also conducts regularly scheduled research grand rounds.
- Khan E, Wong M, Ibrahim M, Babazade R, Simon M, Mendonca R, Vadhera R. Effect of phenylephrine infusion and spinal anesthesia on cardiac output during cesarean section by point of care echocardiogram: A case series. J Clin Anesth. 2021 Dec;75:110474. doi: 10.1016/j.jclinane.2021.110474. Epub 2021 Aug 7. PMID: 34375823.
- Tavish Nanda, Lisa Ross, Gregory Kerr, “A Case of Brainstem Anesthesia after Retrobulbar Block for Globe Rupture Repair”, Case Reports in Anesthesiology, vol. 2021, Article ID 2619327, 4 pages, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/2619327
- Garcia D, Kehar M, Khan ES, Mendonca R, Girshin M. Multiple Episodes of Severe Bronchospasm During General Anesthesia: A Case Report. Cureus. 2022 Jan 23;14(1):e21521. doi: 10.7759/cureus.21521. PMID: 35223297; PMCID: PMC8863117.
- Khan E, Garcia D, Huang S, Mendonca R, Vadhera R. Dual epidural catheters for labor analgesia in a spinal cord injury patient: a case report. Braz J Anesthesiol. 2022 Mar 14:S0104-0014(22)00033-1. doi: 10.1016/j.bjane.2022.03.001. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35296426.
- Woodruff BC, Popilevsky L, Mendonca R, Girshin M. Importance of Life-Long Alerts in Electronic Medical Report Systems for Patients With Positive Antigen Screening. Cureus. 2022 Feb 24;14(2):e22561. doi: 10.7759/cureus.22561. PMID: 35371660; PMCID: PMC8958146.
- Navi, Liel, et al. “826 Obesity’s impact on incision to delivery interval and neonatal outcomes at time of urgent cesarean.” American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 224.2 (2021): S515.
- Improving anesthesia care of patients with a history of sexual violence – Dr. Bianca Woodruff, Maya Girshin, Dr. Amit Patel
- *Management of intraoperative aspiration with two endotracheal tubes – Dr. Sengottaian Sivakumar, Dr. Mark Young
- *Peri operative management of patients with Parkinsons disease – Dr. Sengottaian Sivakumar, Dr. Michael Girshin
- *A film you should definitely see – a case of endotracheal tube obstruction by a packaging film. – Dr. Sengottaian Sivakumar
- *Pain Management and Gender Confirming Surgery – Dr. Sengottaian Sivakumar, Dr. Michael Girshin
- *Anesthesia Management of benign intracranial hypertension in a morbidly obese pregnant patient – Dr. Sengottaian Sivakumar, Dr. Roni Mendonca
- *Evaluation of complications following Neuroaxial analgesia in Covid-19 parturients – Dr. Michael Wong, Dr. Michael Girshin
- *Partial bowel malrotation in adolescent presenting as appendicitis – Dr. Huang, Dr. Roni Mendonca
- *Bezold-Jarisch Reflex During Spinal Anesthesia with Transient Cardiac Arrest – Dr. Garcia, Dr. Khan, Dr. Kehar
- *Incidental Epidural Fluid Collection: 2 Case Reports and approach considerations – Dr. Khan
Posters and Abstracts
|Title||Resident Author||Attending Author||Meeting Name|
|Knowledge of Line Isolation Monitor and Electrocution Hazard Among Operating Room Staff||Daivyd Palencia||Ross||IARS|
|Perirenal Nerve Plexus Block in Microwave Ablation of Stage 1 RCC – A Novel Application of Regional Anesthesia||N/A||Giannaris||Society of Interventional Radiology|
|Atypical Presentation Of HELLP Syndrome||Odai Khammash||ASA|
|Leptospirosis: The Under-diagnosed Catastrophe||Odai Khammash||ATS|
|*New onset rate dependent LBBB after induction of anesthesia||Sengottaian Sivakumar||Lazar Popilevsky|
Management of Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. (2021). Grading of Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage, E. Khan, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing. 978-3-030-81333-8